The Hotel Lutetia originally opened in December 1910, in Paris's elegant Saint-Germain-des-Prés neighborhood. The auberge soon became a regular destination for customers at Le Bon Marché, and it has been en vogue ever since, defying all fads and trends. Of course, time and new tastes in hospitality pushed for a do over, so after a recent renovation at the hands of architect Jean-Michel Wilmotte, the building has returned to its former grandeur.
Behind its undulating façade, the Lutetia harbors Bar Joséphine, named after the Franco-American performer Josephine Baker. It is here where Art Deco details merge with painter Adrien Karbowsky's bucolic frescoes, which have been uncovered from six coats of paint and restored to its original splendor. Among this cornucopia of décor, Walter K.’s 375 barstools complement a mirrored structure doubling as sleek and ultra-contemporary bar.